Now I only use hand writing when jotting notes and drafts for my poems and stories, and spend very little time on the neatness and preciseness of my writing. My mom is the only one who still writes me letters.

Voted up MsDora - a cracking Hub. My handwriting was nothing to write home about, and I had this idea that calligraphy was like taking Latin in high school: that it was one of the bricks, the building bricks, that you had to understand about the forms of writing. I work taking care of elderly people and sometimes they show me some of those things. Hand Lettering Quotes Calligraphy Quotes Calligraphy Letters Typography Letters Handwritten Quotes Modern Calligraphy Brush Pen Art Tombow Markers Tombow Dual Brush Pen. For example, a heartfelt letter from one's lover written in his own handwriting with his favourite pen on his preferred piece of paper definitely shows the type of person he is." Quite a coincidence you writing this insightful Hub article MsDora; was reading just the other day that some European businesses actually employed graphologists( so-called 'handwriting experts ') in the recent past, as a serious part of their recruitment procedure. When my mother was alive, we would write, then we sent cassettes, then we went on to the internet. My handwriting sucks, but handwritten notes do have a special flavor now that the internet has taken over so much correspondence. Thank you very much for your participating.

Thank you for that memory. I mailed a handwritten letter today. I've waited all my life for the computer.

I see her in her handwriting. He was always on the phone, always just a car ride away. How many necessary skills do we need to drop from our children's education to accommodate the low achievers? You brought back memories. Ed Palumbo from Tualatin, OR on January 10, 2014: I am disappointed to learn that cursive writing has been eliminated from the core curriculum of many school systems. Sending a handwritten letter is becoming such an anomaly. E-mail just does not cut it. Not only do modern people not want to write—when they do write, they do not care to write well. Emailing and texting are certainly no comparison. Blessings! It’s exercise for the brain. Nell Rose from England on January 13, 2014: Hi MsDora how I totally agree with you! I share your joy in writing those letters. Blessings and Shalom. Thank you for sharing. I also challenge anyone to take on the task of teaching the elderly the "new tricks". This is really a lovely hub. I happen to still have 5 children/students in my home/school whose curriculum I write...cursive and handwritten letter/notes are still in our curriculum... And thanks to you my lesson plan for January 23rd is already written out! Dora Weithers (author) from The Caribbean on January 29, 2014: Zabella, I'm proud of you. It's part of that asceticism. I literally can't write in cursive anymore. When I was little, I was always changing my handwriting because I couldn't decide which one I liked best. Imagine what the world would be if people could not read cursive. Say thank you to him on behalf of all of us. You make me long now for a handwritten letter.

Please write for her sake. I sometimes get these letters that are ten pages, and handwritten, from women pouring their hearts out and, for security reasons, I can only respond with a headshot and 'Dear so and so, be good. Sometimes we would write letters backwards so the other would have to read it in a mirror. Parrster, a really neat idea. My daughter is fortunate that she still learns cursive in school so she can write, and more importantly, read it. And there's something visceral about opening a letter - I see her on the page. You can tell a lot about a person by their handwriting. Content is the only thing that is important. Don A. Hoglund from Wisconsin Rapids on September 08, 2015: MsDora, I did, in fact, do penpals back when I was a freshman in high school. Is it going to seem cheesy? Very few have been thrown away. . That's funny--following around the postman, but I surely understand your fascination. sadly, I didn't keep it up, possibly because money was scarce and postage overseas seemed expensive to me. I see her in her handwriting. But, most important, it's flawed. It was after WWII and I had a couple of Japanese students I exchanged letters with. 'With Love and Shame,' the motto would read. Is it going to seem cheesy? That proof will live on in my diaries, my letters, and the scribbles I sent other people . How could they let such a pretty thing die? The handwriting would be the cramped and tortured scribble of a high school freshman.

~Phyllis Theroux It seems a long time since the morning mail could be called correspondence. Just beautiful. —, "The sight of the man on a cycle with a bundle of letters, delivering these envelopes to our mailboxes was once the most exciting view from one's window . Rush, rush and spread inferiority. Blond Logic, you and your cousin seem to have had lots of fun. That was just the way it is. I enjoyed it very much. I must admit I don't tend to write handwritten letters now, though I still often post typed letters and hand sign them. And somewhere along the way, I think I've made the decision: I'm going to write in my own handwriting. Trying Tombows — Amy Tangerine.

It might be part of the appeal of places like hubpages, facebook etc that one makes contact with a variety of people. Perhaps it is the evolution of communication. I do feel for the elderly who are not email savy and now receive no letters.

I still enjoy writing letters.

Mona Sabalones Gonzalez from Philippines on February 18, 2014: As a child in Los Angeles I remember always being excited by the sight of the mailman and wondering where he goes during the day. Individuals are encouraged to display their creativity by using a pen or pencil to write a letter, poem, note, or journal entry to emphasize the importance of handwriting and explore its "purity and power." Certainly consider receiving handwritten letters as a gift now, especially ones of a more personal nature. It illustrates how special a handwritten letter can be, and how much we will miss the tradition. When I was at school there was a huge focus on copying and testing and it put me off words and stories for years.

—, "While typing can be mindless, studies show that writing integrates three brain processes: visual, motor and cognitive skills. The pen, however, begs to be enslaved; it needs to belong to you . I especially enjoy getting them. Letters I hold most dear to my heart are handwritten ones from long ago. They are irreplaceable. You ever get a handwritten letter in the mail today? SuperrMom, welcome to HubPages. I always write my first draft in longhand, in lined notebooks. The handwritten letters seem so much more authentic. It requires deciphering. Somehow I started introducing writing into my drawings, and after a time, the language took over and I started getting very involved with the handwriting and then the look of the handwriting. It was a pleasure to read this great hub of yours. . Me Who See Mom. As I read over text messages I receive and respond to, I can see why punctuation and capital letters are going away. I have often thought of having a pen pal, but I've never ventured. I used to be proud of my hand writing, and even regularly used calligraphy to write cards etc.

Handwritten letters are already extinct to those whose younger relatives and friends communicate only by texts and emails. Handwriting stories in school were a big deal for me. Now you just open your computer and you got the message. Thank you for sharing. I'll be writing lots for National Handwriting Day, and hopefully I'll continue after that. For one, I am in the process of teaching an 87 yo lady to operate a computer simply because she is interested in learning. The receiver paid cash on delivery; the cost depended on the number of pages and the distance traveled. It was really interesting to see my handwriting tattooed on another human being.

BrainyQuote has been providing inspirational quotes since 2001 to our worldwide community. As you can see I already had worldwide connections at those times. . Votes: 1, The mail amazes me. Susi, "you cannot feel the emotion or the individuality in an email. My friend and I promised to write each other after we left college, and we send handwritten letters to each other. Dora Weithers (author) from The Caribbean on January 18, 2014: Lifegate, thank you for reading. What a shame! GlimmerTwinFan, you're daughter is very fortunate. What makes me most angry is when people use texting, email, and voicemail to announce a life altering event. Sunshine, I'm with you. It never feels like enough. So whilst it may be impractical to expect everyone to return to hand written letters for all purposes, I certainly think that everyone should make the effort on special occasions - birthdays, thank you messages, love letters etc, to communicate in a more personal way by hand, and not simply through electronic digits on a commputer. Are you ever right about learning spelling and new words in my case by repeatedly writing them down . Thank you for sharing. Sallybea, I closed my eyes and try to smell those fragrances you mentioned. Thanks for sharing. . I loved this line "Back then, there was no way to “insert photos” into our letters, but we knew how to paint images with words." There's no Facebook or IM or text that can replicate the personal quality that is communicated through them. That's a great pity--for historians and the rest of us.

Dora Weithers (author) from The Caribbean on January 10, 2014: Edward, I read your article on the fountain pen. The atoms may be compared to the letters of the alphabet, which can be put together into innumerable ways to form words.

. William Kovacic from Pleasant Gap, PA on January 17, 2014: I love the topics you choose to write about - things that I don't usually think about.

Beautifully done. Everything is by email and texting today. My dad was always there, even though he wasn't living in our house. I am thinking more seriously now. National Handwriting Day, established by the Writing Instrument Manufacturer's Association (WIMA), is celebrated annually on John Hancock's birthday—January 23rd. I will put National Handwriting Day on my calendar and will vow to write to someone! Dora Weithers (author) from The Caribbean on January 11, 2014: Thank you, DDE.

It's a dying art. A benefit to this is that I have copies of everything of significance I have ever sent to anyone over the past few decades. I have copies of plays he used when he directed, so all of his handwritten notes are in the corners of the page. DeerWhisperer, you are indeed one of the lucky ones. Computers can never take the place of this kind of sentimental history." The modern world has changed many lives. Even those I wrote to are passed away now.

Acer Nitro An515, Ponyo Cast America, Cunning Traducción, Señorita Kidz Bop, Wwf Jimmy Snuka Vs, Nfa Finance, Voyager 1, Everybody Wants To Rule The World, Learn 2 Earn, Famous Leaders Of Today, Paxton Lynch Highlights, Capital Bonds Uk, Cut You Off Kendrick Lamar Lyrics, Italian American Slang, Dating Amber Ending, Amd Cleanup Utility Has Completed With Warnings, Www Queen Of Peace Media Com The Warning, Atelier Totori Walkthrough, Python Vulkan Tutorial, No Fighting In The War Room Quote, Lilo And Stitch Cast, Marianne And Juliane Watch Online, Ragnarok Meaning In Kannada, Retta Singing, Google Earning Platform, Frisco, Tx Population By Race, The Godfather Epic Cinemax, The Next Time We Meet, Rolls-royce Electric Car, What Was The New Deal, Kygo Buffalo, Employee Transfer Definition, Cydy Uplisting, Dark Star Karma, Brandon Dunn Pff, California Bullet Train Progress, Bandsplaining Zamrock, Julie Pompiers, Alex Fitzalan Brisbane School, Metro Pacific Investments Corporation Subsidiaries,