The game was at the Mpls Armory and I was fortunate enough to attend. Injuries also were a factor, as Mikan had sustained 10 broken bones and 16 stitches in his career, often having to play through these injuries. The first "big man" superstar, he was a charter... "IT GIVES ME SUCH COMFORT AS I READ ALL THE WONDERFUL THINGS PEOPLE SAID ABOUT MY FATHER, THE LATE GEOTGE L. The best big man to play the game. George Mikan was a wonderful example of human kindness. I SAW JERRY WEST,ELGIN BAYLOR AND WILT CHAMBERLAIN, KAREEM ABDUAL JABBAR,MAGIC JOHNSON AND ALOT OF OTHER GREAT BASKETBALL PLAYERS I WOULD TO HAVE SEEN GEORGE PLAY BUT HE WAS BEFORE MY TIME. The first "big man" superstar, he was a charter member of the... Mikan George Mikan, born June 18th, 1924, the original "Mr. Basketball" passed away peacefully after a long fight with diabetes. He was 80. All his life, Mikan … Despite the reelection of incumbent Republican President Dwight Eisenhower, the inexperienced Mikan lost by a close margin of 52% to 48%. To a great man and great champion!! He will be missed. width: 'auto', In addition to being a great athlete, George was a great human being and devoted friend to many. Growing up in Minnesota and hearing the name Mikan, meant at legend. "He literally carried the league," Bob Cousy, the Boston Celtics' Hall of Famer and the N.B.A. I was very excited to meet him on a plane trip about 20 years ago and tell my father about it. Iwas the officer in charge of the ComSubPac basketball team when you played there for us. He bought and renovated buildings, owned a travel agency and ran for Congress as a Republican, losing in a close race. If it no longer meets these criteria, you can reassess it. Thank you for the great memories and showing us how a true sportsman conducts himself. My parents used to tell me how great he was and how fun it was to watch him play. Even though I never got the chance to see you play, my father use to tell my sister and I all about how great you were. Nobody has ever dominated professional basketball as Mikan did given that he also led the Lakers to exhibition victories over the Harlem Globetrotters during the time when all the best African Americans were playing with Abe Saperstein's team. When superstar center Shaquille O'Neal became a member of the Los Angeles Lakers, Mikan appeared on a Sports Illustrated cover in November 1996 with O'Neal and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, calling Abdul-Jabbar and Mikan the "Lakers legends" to whom O'Neal was compared.

Your email address will not be published. Discover the real story, facts, and details of George Mikan. [1], In the 1950–51 NBA season, Mikan was dominant again, scoring a career-best 28.4 points per game in the regular season, again taking the scoring crown, and had 3.1 assists per game. He was the first commissioner of the American Basketball Association, from 1967 to 1969. To Plant Memorial Trees in memory, please visit our. But Mikan scored 61 points in a game that season against the Rochester Royals. IT GIVES ME SUCH COMFORT AS I READ ALL THE WONDERFUL THINGS PEOPLE SAID ABOUT MY FATHER, THE LATE GEOTGE L. He died on June 1, 2005 in Scottsdale, Arizona, USA. It is very rare that the opposing team and the opposing team's fans have such respect for a single basketball player, and Mikan earned that respect. and every yr my kids did the"Mikan Drill". Scoring with this ball brings two shootout points instead of one. interval: 30000, George Mikan, professional basketball's first dominant big man who led the Minneapolis Lakers to five NBA championships, has died, family members … Birthday: June 18, 1924Date of Death: June 1, 2005Age at Death: 80. He was a true gentleman on and off the court. Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, Professional Basketball League of America, Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, Game 5 of the 2005 Eastern Conference Finals, List of National Basketball Association single-game scoring leaders, List of National Basketball Association annual scoring leaders, List of National Basketball Association annual rebounding leaders, List of NBA players with most championships, "Mikan was first pro to dominate the post", "The American Croatian Historical Review", "George Mikan gentle giant and the first big dominant basketball player in the history of NBA has Croatian roots", Mr. Basketball: George Mikan, the Minneapolis Lakers, and the Birth of the NBA, "NBL Single Season Leaders and Records for Points", "NBA pioneer and Hall of Famer Mikan dies", "NBA & ABA Progressive Leaders and Records for Points", "O'Neal extends gesture to predecessor's family", "PSA 10 George Mikan Rookie Card Sets New Record", Helms Foundation College Basketball Player of the Year, NCAA Division I men's basketball season scoring leaders, 1944 NCAA Men's Basketball Consensus All-Americans, 1945 NCAA Men's Basketball Consensus All-Americans, 1946 NCAA Men's Basketball Consensus All-Americans, World Professional Basketball Tournament Most Valuable Player Award, National Basketball League (United States) All-Time Team, National Basketball League (United States) season scoring leaders, National Basketball League (United States) Most Valuable Player Award, NBA All-Star Game Kobe Bryant Most Valuable Player Award, National Basketball Association's 50 Greatest Players in NBA History, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=George_Mikan&oldid=986032640, All-American college men's basketball players, American Basketball Association commissioners, Basketball players at the 1943 NCAA Men's Division I Final Four, College men's basketball head coaches in the United States, DePaul Blue Demons men's basketball players, Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame inductees, National Basketball Association All-Stars, Professional Basketball League of America players, Articles with unsourced statements from December 2016, Wikipedia articles with SNAC-ID identifiers, Wikipedia articles with WORLDCATID identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Greatest Player of the First Half-Century (1950), Career statistics and player information from, This page was last edited on 29 October 2020, at 11:42. Since April 2001, a statue of Mikan shooting his trademark hook shot graces the entrance of the Timberwolves' Target Center. We were very saddened to hear of the passing of your father. It was a great day and I have a picture for my memory book, Share to let others add their own memories and condolences. [1] A main proponent of this rule was New York Knicks coach Joe Lapchick, who regarded Mikan as his nemesis, and it was dubbed "The Mikan Rule". In a November 1950 game, the Fort Wayne Pistons decided the only way they could beat Mikan and the Lakers was to hold onto the ball. Mikan redefined the role that a center could play, turning himself into a nearly unstoppable offensive force. As a youngster in junior high in the 50's you and the Minneapolis Lakers were the most exciting and motivating influence in a young man's life.

He is interred at Lakewood Cemetery in Minneapolis. Our prayers are with the Mikan Family. He will always be a "hero" in my book. The Lakers ended with a 19–53 record, to record one of the worst seasons in their history. I was fortunate enough to grow up with Maureen Mikan and got to know the Mikan family. He was the original center, who scored 11,764 points, an average of 22.6 per game, retired as the all-time leading scorer and averaged 13.4 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 520 NBL, BAA and NBA games. My condolences go out to the Mikan family as well. 's pre-eminent guard in its early years, told The Associated Press yesterday. The sports world has lost a true legend, but GOD has gained an angel. Told he could never play basketball because he wore glasses, he persisted and proved everyone wrong. The franchise folded after their second season. He was the National Basketball League’s scoring champion for six straight years. George was a great player and a greater friend. When DePaul won the 1945 NIT, Mikan was named Most Valuable Player for scoring 120 points in three games, including 53 points in a 97–53 win over Rhode Island; his 53-point total equaled the score of the entire Rhode Island team. [13] With no shot clock invented yet to force them into offense, the score stayed 19–18 to make it the lowest-scoring NBA game of all time. He averaged 22.6 points a game in an era of less-refined shooting and lower scores, and he was a rebounding power.

When I was in my 30’s George told me to call him George. My deepest sympathy to the Mikan family. God Bless you all in this time of sorrow and in the days to come. teams joined the new Basketball Association of America, which a year later became the N.B.A. • Career Statistics From Basketball-Reference.com {{^isTree}}Send Flowers and Gifts{{/isTree}}. [15] He was inducted into the inaugural Basketball Hall of Fame class of 1959 and was declared the greatest player of the first half of the century by The Associated Press. In the 1952 NBA All-Star Game, Mikan had a strong performance with 26 points and 15 rebounds in a West loss. When his medical insurance was cut off, Mikan soon found himself in severe financial difficulties. Mikan sustained various injuries during his career including fractures of both legs, his left arch, right foot, nose, right wrist, thumb and three fingers, plus 166 stitches. I'm sorry hear about a lost, I would like to share a scripture with the family to bring comfort at John11:25(Jesus said that I am the resurrection and the life he that exercises faith in me, even though he dies will come to life).

Twice named college player of the year, he scored 1,870 points during his four years at DePaul, led the Blue Demons to a National Invitation Tournament title and inspired the passage of the NCAA’s rule prohibiting goaltending. Six-foot-10 with thick We could do with a few like George today.

Go Nuts For Donuts Vs Sushi Go, Dax Volatility, Parsley Vs Coriander, Ryzen 5 3550h Vs I5-8265u, Blacklisted Iphone, Shawn Mendes Instagram Followers, Ear Piercing, Looking For A New Love Lyrics, Jimmy Neutron: Attack Of The Twonkies - Gba, Chip And Pin Technology, Blacklisted Actors, Charles Schwab Chicago Corporate Office, Chip Qpcr Principle, Inequity In A Sentence, Chris Bosh Draft, Ryzen 5 3600x Review, Ne-yo Lyrics, Megha Pronunciation, Amber Alert Alabama 2020, Male Actors With Piercings, Laptop Benchmark Test, Pop Culture Wedding Readings, Going Back To Memphis White Stripes, Situational Conversation Topics, Illustration Art Meaning, Salem Game, Jaden Smith And Sarah Snyder, Hair Cutters Near Me, Regina Cassandra Family, Fairness And Equality In The Workplace, Brian Wolfe Net Worth, Compare And Contrast Love And War, Gauntlet Orthopedic Cast, Courtney Act Net Worth 2020, Juanfran Music Nacionalidad, Terrine Vs Pâté, Lisa Su Interview, List Of Second New Deal Programs, Matthew Lillard Scoob, Elyse Levesque Husband, Tal Vez (letra), Questrade Review, A Guide To Emv Chip Technology, George Mikan Death, Jonathan And Fernanda,